U.S. News & World Report recently ranked Kingston Elementary and Old Donation School as the No. 1 elementary and middle schools in Virginia. Old Donation School, which has students in grades two through eight and is the home of the Edward E. Brickell Academy for Advanced Academics & Arts, was also ranked as the No. 2 elementary school in the state.
Our mission is to develop confident leaders of tomorrow. Student-centered, authentic tasks will be the focus in our environment; where it is safe to take risks, solve problems, and challenge ourselves. Life-long learners will be ready to navigate and build a better world through innovative and engaging experiences for both students and teachers. Relationships are fostered and strengthened through collaboration and mutual respect, where students can focus on purposeful real-world applications of knowledge. Each teacher at John B. Dey will seek to understand the learning style of your child, focus on their interests, and differentiate for their individual needs and motivations. Every child, every day will experience an inclusive, supportive environment that is safe and conducive to learning!
An excited community welcomed the opening of John B. Dey Elementary School in September, 1956. Fourteen acres of land on Great Neck Road had been purchased from the James Farm by the Princess Anne County School Board. The original building had over forty-eight thousand square feet. Water was supplied from Norfolk and there was no air conditioning.
Grades five through seven were housed at John B. Dey during the first year to alleviate crowded conditions at Little Creek Elementary School. In 1957 the school began to function as a complete elementary school, housing grades one through seven.
In 1960, ten more rooms were added to relieve the crowded conditions at Cox High School, on the grounds of what is now Great Neck Middle. In 1995, the construction of a new wing brought seven more classrooms, library, art, and computer lab.
Mr. John B. Dey was a farmer who was involved with his community. He lived in Broad Bay Manor which was built in 1640 on a 415 acre estate. He served seventeen years as chairperson of the school board from 1940-1957. Also, he was a member of Princess Anne Board of Supervisors, the Norfolk City Council, and the State House of Delegates. He was honored by naming this new school after him for his numerous contributions to social, religious, and civic activities in his community.
Our mascot is the Seagulls and we welcome over 800 students and 50 teachers. John B. Dey places a strong emphasis on instruction, academic achievement, and physical development. The staff encourages parental involvement and has an active PTA. "The mission of John B. Dey Elementary School, in partnership with our entire community, is to ensure that each student is empowered with the knowledge, skills, and self-confidence necessary to meet the challenges of the future.